apache as proxy server?

Has anyone succeeded in making apache run as a  proxy  server?   I've
been   trying,   tweaking   the  <IfModule  mod_proxy.c>  section  of
httpd.conf a lot, and while it cheerfully accepts  URLs  and  returns
web  pages, it always fails in the same way:  The file returned comes
from its own disk, not from the remote server in the URL.

I've had "tail -f" running on the access_log and error_log, and  they
do show the received URLs. The only errors are when the file can't be
found  on  the   local   disk.    I've   also   used   this   machine
(trillian.mit.edu)  as  the remote server so that I can run "tail -f"
on its access_log, and no accesses show up here. So apache definitely
isn't working as a proxy server.

Naturally, I've been digging around in the apache docs, but I haven't
seen  any  mention  of  this  behavior.   There  is  something called
ProxyPass that is vaguely similar, but not the same, and  there's  no
ProxyPass in any of the apache config files.

This is with apache 1.3.12. (Maybe I oughta grab the latest release.)

If anyone has a httpd.conf that sets it up as a proxy server, could I
see the lines that do the job?

This seems like it oughta be easy ...

-