Making an informative login screen

Ok, I use gdm on my home machine to provide different logins for myself and my
wife.  Therefore the machine normally sits at the login screen when not in
use.  Both of us login several times a day just to check mail.  I was
wondering if there's a way that I could display a little email status window
somewhere on the login screen that would tell us if there was any new mail in
either account, that way we could just look at the screen instead of having to
login just to see that there isn't any?

And while i'm here, how do I go about moving the login box itself?  Do I still
have to worry about screen burn in this day and age?  Can I make the
screensaver kick in even when there's nobody logged in?

Duane

-