Cable modem based internet

    I am providing input on the contract my local town in central New
Hampshire and adjacent communities is negotiating with the local cable
franchise, I desperately need some thoughtful input on specific
parameters that should be required regarding internet services.
    My first ideas are to require that the primary backbone is a
landline rather than satellite system, that there be redundancy in
backbone carriers provided withing a reasonable time period but not
necessarily upon initial ISP services, and that the useage of any single
trunk line not exceed reasonable limits of the total bandwidth so that
additional competitive carriers are encouraged to provide services which
I envision to be DSL over the existing telephone lines and possibly
other systems such as wireless.
    I would greatly appreciate some commentary on those ideas and other
suggestions as we are in the process of rewriting the contract to
include a number of other communities and address their interests as
well. My goal is to encourage not only the rapid implementation of a
cable modem service here in central NH but to encourage the rapid
expansion of broadband telecommunications capacity here and throughout
the rest of northern New England.

TIA,  Randy Hofland

-