who is responsible for keeping private IP addresses private?

in general, the lack of a route should not be mistaken for a
firewall.. in particular, NATs are not firewalls. (though some
legit firewalls do NAT..).

you may or may not be vulnerable based on a bunch of things..

if I source-route a packet towards your DSL router with a dest address
of public, and a src address of 192.168.1.1 a normal router will
forward that on happily and public will happily trust it.. now of
course I won't see public's responses (they will go to the real
192.168.1.1).. but not every attack needs that..

consider the classic "rcp myfile victim:.rhosts"

no reply is neeeded ;)

these attacks are hard (some things need to be guessed, RSTs can get
in the way, routers might do reverse path verification, etc..) but the
driving point is that the lack of a route is not a secure solution.

-P

[Seth Gordon: Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 12:01:01PM -0500]