Solaris version number stew

David Allan wrote:

> What's the general take on gcc for Solaris?  I know the C compiler that
> ships isn't great, and you can buy a better one from Sun, but I've used
> gcc to build stuff and it seems ok.  I'm no programmer, though.

A company where I used to work used gcc on Solaris; we were happy with
it. In our experience, it was reliable, both for building software that
we downloaded from the Internet (Perl, Apache, and so forth), and for
internal software development. And it was a lot cheaper than buying
multiple seats of Sun's compiler.
-