[BLU] Why won't Apache work for me?

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Duane Morin wrote:

> Ok, I'm running into what seems to be a common problem, my web page telling me
> "You don't have permission to access / on this server" accompanied by "Client
> denied by server configuration" in the logs.
>
> But I've looked for all the following, and everything seems to be in place:
> 	- user nobody has correct access to all the directories and files
> 	  in question
> 	- I don't have ACLs turned on
> 	- for directory /home/httpd/html (the default docroot), I have
> 	  "Allow from all"
>
> What else can I try? I have an SMC firewall in front of this box, which I
> thought might be related to the problem, but I've got it set up to let port 80
> traffic through, and also if I try to hit localhost : 80 from the box itself I
> still can't get in.
>
> Also, I noticed that whenever I try to use linuxconf to change my apache
> settings it wants to add an extra " in a few places (such as
> "/home/httpd/html"") which screws up trying to bounce httpd.  Is that a known
> bug?  Because of that, I've been modifying httpd.conf by hand.  But I'd
> happily use a tool to do it, if there is one.

Given that message, I think it's not looking at the right DocuemntRoot.
Given that you don't trust linuxconf, simply don't use it.

There is another tool called Comanche specifically designed to configure
Apache.  You might have better luck with that.  However, I feel there are
certain configuration files that are fairly well documented and easy to
understand.  httpd.conf is one of them.  I would look in there for the
DocumentRoot line and make sure it looks like

DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"

Note that depending on your configuration, this line may be in httpd.conf
or srm.conf, which will be in /var/logs/httpd/ or /etc/httpd/conf.

Let us know if that works.

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Football is not a contact sport; it is a collision sport.
DK KD  Dancing is a contact sport.              --Vince Lombardi
DDDD

-