Why won't Apache work for me?

Ok, I'm running into what seems to be a common problem, my web page telling me
"You don't have permission to access / on this server" accompanied by "Client
denied by server configuration" in the logs.

But I've looked for all the following, and everything seems to be in place:
	- user nobody has correct access to all the directories and files
	  in question
	- I don't have ACLs turned on
	- for directory /home/httpd/html (the default docroot), I have
	  "Allow from all"

What else can I try? I have an SMC firewall in front of this box, which I
thought might be related to the problem, but I've got it set up to let port 80
traffic through, and also if I try to hit localhost : 80 from the box itself I
still can't get in.

Also, I noticed that whenever I try to use linuxconf to change my apache
settings it wants to add an extra " in a few places (such as
"/home/httpd/html"") which screws up trying to bounce httpd.  Is that a known
bug?  Because of that, I've been modifying httpd.conf by hand.  But I'd
happily use a tool to do it, if there is one.

Duane

-