Content Management?

So I'm trying to convince some friends in a startup that open software and
Linux will save them much (time/money/heartache) as they get up and running.
The question of content management has come up.  They naturally lean toward
something like Interwoven, which can easily cost a few hundred thousand
dollars (depending on licensing).  Meanwhile I go to freshmeat, and "content
management" search shows 50 hits.  I don't really have time to adequately
evaluate all 50 of those, does anybody have any recommendations that I could
float to the top of the list?  The primary features that they need are version
control, some form of workflow, and an XML friendly environment.  They'd also
like the ability to use templates to put together several hunks of content at
once, but that would be the last on the list.

Duane

-