Forwarded mail....(Network cards)

Abhi,
Network cards range from no-sweat to impossible. We need to know
what network card you have, what Linux distribution, and type of system.
Some laptops can be difficult. Also, I suggest you subscribe to the BLU
discussion listserv by sending email to discuss-request at blu.org with the
words, subscribe and end, in the message portion of the email (put them
on different lines).

In general, if you have a mainstream network card your system should
already be configured for it. You do have to set up your system so that it
it knows what IP address to assign or whether you must use DHCP to
get an address. The setup also depends on what Linux distribution you
are using. I use SuSE, where you set up your network configuration
using YaST. Under Red Hat, you can use Linuxconf.
I suggest that you consult the appropriate FAQ.

Here is the Linux Doc project home page:http://www.linuxdoc.org/

The networking FAQ is pretty extensive.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/index.html

On 24 Jan 2001, at 16:08, JAbhishake Pathak <abhishake00 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, My name is Abhi and i recently started using
> linux.   I have a problem. I would really be thankful
> if you can help me solve it.  I installed linux, but i
> didn't conigure my network card or more like don't
> know if it is configured.  I was wondering how i would
> go about doing that even though i have completed the
> installation.
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group