la la land

I tried that on our 5.1 system in the lab and did not have the winking out
problem you had. Are you running TruClusters?.
In any case, my system was very lightly loaded. Only 2 of us were
logged in, but I was the only one doing anything. I did a lot of testing on
5.0 when it was beta since I rewrote the utmp functions in libc, and did
not experience those problems either.
In a cluster, some files and directories are shared over the cluster, and
will have context sensitive symbolic links:
tmp -> cluster/members/{memb}/tmp

The /etc directory and most of its contents would be exported to your
system with some members of /etc set up on a cpu specific file.
The password file could be either a common file (default) or a member
specific file. I think that your case probably needs to be looked at offline.
I'll be tied up on Monday, but I can probably ask someone later on or
maybe one of the Mission Critical Linux guys can answer your question
since most of the developers came from the Digital/Compaq cluster team
in the first place.

--
Jerry Feldman
Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering

Compaq Computer Corp.
200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
Marlboro, Ma. 01752
-