Ethernet - Existing home

Matt Brodeur wrote:
>    Now I haven't read the regs completely, so I may be very wrong, but I
> believe that one needs at least the Contractor's license to do any kind of
> wiring in MA.  I also have been told that a Master or Journeyman
> Electrician can do data cable as well as line voltage work.

Having done a lot of home and office remodeling work, and installed
cat5 wiring in each room of 5 apartment units over the past three
years, I have yet to run into a city inspector who paid any attention
whatsoever to low-voltage circuits other than fire alarm wiring.

Further, I have yet to run into an electrician who understood either
(a) that cat5 wiring needs to be installed as a home-run from a panel
to each drop or (b) how to connect the jacks to the wires once they're
run.  (And I've gone through a lot of local electricians...)

And finally, I have yet to run into (a) a real estate broker who knew
that a house with cat5 should be highly-desired by prospective buyers or
(b) any prospective buyers who paid any attention to my nicely-cabled
apartments.  I just sold one of them last month, to a woman who got that
glazed "that's nice" expression on her face when I pointed out the 24-port
patch panel in the basement and explained how to hook it up to RCN.

That said--I have found that these rewired apartments do in fact get
more attention from online *renters*.  I've rented almost exclusively to
folks browsing online, either on ne.housing or at dwellings.com.

Some decade soon, houses wired for cat5 will be worth more.  I just
*know* they will.  ;-)

-rich
-