Modem question

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Are there any external data/fax/voice modems?

Yes, there are.

I know that the Zoom (http://www.zoom.com) external serial modems have
fax and voice capability. You do need a soundcard to actually digitize
and play back the voice, though; the modem doesn't include that
capability. They call the capability "voicemail" - in other words, the
modem can answer the phone, talk (from recorded voice on your computer),
and record sound. Voice could presumably also be done live with help
from a soundcard, but none of their software does that.

Zoom has a brand-new V.92 PCI modem, but their website doesn't yet
mention an external version. But I saw an ad for the external version
just this week, so it's either out now or on the way soon. The V.92
modems also have the voicemail capability.

As for actually finding out how to use the voice commands, you're on
your own. Documentation on the command set is available on their
website, but it's a long way from a cookbook.

Disclaimer: I used to work for Zoom a few years ago. I still own one of
their 56K external modems, but it hasn't seen any use since my house got
its DSL line over a year and a half ago.
-