From: owner-discuss at blu.org [mailto:owner-discuss at blu.org]On Behalf Of
Jerry Feldman
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 5:46 PM
To: discuss at blu.org
Subject: Video capture et. al.

A friend of mine asked me some questions regarding the capture of real-
time video from a security camera at work. I don't do much with video and
have not really kept up with what's happening.

The general solution I posed was to use a Linux based computer at work
to capture the video. The user would dial directly into server from home.
The reason I recommended Linux was that it handles dialin much better
than the M$ stuff. (I am not really a fan of PC Anywhere type products
either). The other reason is that Linux is more stable than than Windows.
I assume that the guy already has the camera plugged into dedicated
monitor.  I don't know if the guy wants to dial in and get continuous real-
time updates or whether he wants to dial in, get a snapshot and exit.
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org