From: owner-discuss at blu.org [mailto:owner-discuss at blu.org]On Behalf Of
David Kramer
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 8:41 PM
To: BLU Boston Linux Unix group
Subject: Re: [BLU] E-mail/DNS quuestion

You and I have talked about this off-line, but I had soem ideas since. If
you try to use the mail command with the -v option, it shows exactly what
it sends and receives.  That might be informative.  After you find out
what machine sendmail is talking to (probably chmls19.mediaone.net), then
try telnetting to port 25 on that machine.  Have you ever telnetted to 25
and impersonated an MTA?  If not, I'll look up what to type; I have it
somewhere.

I think I've mentioned this before. but I don't think I've ever seen
anyone use username at mediaone.net instead of username at hostname.mediaone.net
(for self-hosted mail) or hostname at mediaone.net (for mediaone-hosted
mail).

DDDD   David Kramer                   http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Intelligence is knowing how to build a nuclear bomb.
DK KD  Wisdom is knowing how not to need them.
DDDD                              Shaggy 2 Dope- Insane Clown Posse

Any statements referencing Y2K are "forward looking" as they refer to 2000
AD and not 2000 BC.  Otherwise this would be covered by sections 3.2 ii -
3.7.3 ix in the Code of Hammurabi as it refers to defective pottery,
horses, and software.

-

-