A win95 question

On 2000-12-13 at 11:53 -0500, Bill Horne wrote:

> I've never programmed for Win95, so my terminology is out of date.  Same idea,
> though:  set and forget.

Why not just have Windows start "ping" with the "-t" switch from the
Startup folder?  Or am I missing something?

> How much do I have to learn about Win95 programming to write a "console app"?   I'd
> like to limit the time I spend on this, given that it's a very small audience of
> users, so I've got to leverage whatever is out there and I don't want to buy a
> compiler for Win95, which is why I favor Java/Javascript solutions.

You don't want to do this as a console app.  You could define a web page
with a simple HTTP "refresh" directive, and have the users point at that.
Heck, just have them point at "http://www.cnn.com/"; with any ordinary
browser; that page has a 30-minute automatic refresh on it.  As far as
anyone could tell from the outside world, the user just happens to like
keeping up on the news.  If you create a URL object on the Desktop which
is a shortcut to the CNN front page, and you drag that shortcut into the
Startup folder, that may suffice (as long as you have DNS).  If you are
without DNS, you could use the raw IP address (http://207.25.71.5/).

-- Mike

-