What's better, CPU or 3D video?

> I want to upgrade my game system to improve my frames-per-second
> when playing Quake III Arena.  I'm currently running a overclocked
> celeron 266 (@ 400MHZ) with a Voodoo3/2000 and getting roughly 41 fps.
> It's playable, but I have to turn off a bunch of features...
>
> The other day, I borrowed a PIII 500 and got roughly 56 fps with the
> same configuration.
>
> My question is, would my money be better spent getting a nVida GeForce GTS
> or a faster CPU.  Both appear to be in the $100 - $150 range.  By faster
> CPU I'm inferring a >700 MHz celeron with a Slocket.  I have a slot-1
> MB.

Being that you're already running at 400mhz, the difference between a
GeForce 2 GTS (just picked one up the other day to replace a Voodoo3
3000) will far outweigh the move from 400mhz to 700mhz, though I'd
recommend the latter eventually.  As for compatability, I'm very much
enjoying my GeForce 2 under X 4.0 and OpenGL (just note that the nVidia
kernel module is only supported under 2.2 at the moment, though it
worked until 2.4.0-test9 if you really want to backpedal).  Tom's
Hardware has a couple great reviews of 3D under Linux, I'd suggest
checking those out as well, though I think they'll back up my
recommendation.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
Geek for hire: http://clue4all.net/resume

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
(http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20001024)
-