Netscape 6 ready for prime time?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> My experience indicates that it isn't.  The secure socket section seems to be
>snip<
> So should I bother trying the Linux edition, now that I've suffered through
> the 4 download attempts on a dial up line?

   I've tried it now on RedHat 6.2, 7.0, WinNT, Win98,  and Win2k Pro. I'm
not happy with it in any environment. The Windows version seems to lack
polish, and has a truly broken layout engine. I have pages that render
nicely in  MSIE 5.5, are viewable in NSCP 4.76/X11, and are XHTML 1.0
validated, but just don't line up un version 6.  There also seems to be an
issue with JavaScript menus and button. Half the time they just don't show
up.
   As for the Linux version, it's a joke. I think they just took the
latest Preview Release (beta) and labeled it a final to make people happy.
Probably the most annoying thing is that it runs in verbose mode by
default. I don't think the average consumer wants a line in their terminal
window every time they click a link. This does however give some insight
into the state of the product with lines like:
"we don't handle eBorderStyle_close yet... please fix me"

   Enough complaining from me. Here are a few questions instead.
   Has the roaming profile feature disappeared forever?  I'm somewhat
attached to it.
   Is it possible to get a single file download for the installer?  I'd
like not to have to download the whole thing for every system I install
on.

--
     -Matt

McGowan's Madison Avenue Axiom:
	If an item is advertised as "under $50", you can bet it's not $19.95.

-