emacs/print_general networking

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, bill h wrote:
>my emacs question goes like this....
>  i configged my printer(local) with the name lin instead of lp0,
>now i have to print from bash, is this because emacs defaults to lp0?

I assume that you're implying that you have to print from bash
because printing from emacs doesn't work. My emacs default printer
command is "lpr". Presumably, if you did "lpr filename" from the
commandline, you would have the same result as from emacs.
To reset emacs's printer command, put this in your ~/.emacs file:

    (setq printer-name "lin")

The procedure I used to find this information is to type

    C-h a print <RET>

to find "apropos" information on "print". The documentation for
"print-buffer" looked promising, so I selected that. That led
to "lpr-switches". I read the docs for that, and it said it is
recommended to set "printer-name" instead of setting "lpr-switches".

>  i found some good info on tcpdump and other tools, if anyone is
>interested i will be happy to give you the name of the book. I
>didn't pay the 50$ though...i paid 1$ for a note book and sat in
>borders for two hours...

Rich Stevens' "TCP Illustrated, Vol. 1" is the best there is,
I think.

>  How do i use telnet? Everytime a try to login it tells me login
>denied...is this something i have to change in hosts.allow?

Need more information. Are you trying to telnet to your own machine?
You realize there has to be a telnet daemon running on your machine
in that case. (check `netstat -l`) /etc/hosts.allow could be a
factor; `man hosts.allow`.

>  I want to setup my network so there is 1 root, and many
>clients(users). How do i start? Do i do something like create an
>image like norton's ghost? I mean, if every1 has a root on their
>machine, how do i administrate them?

I don't understand this one.

>  My networking questions are pretty general, if you could point me
>out in the right direction, I'll figure out the rest!

There are many books for Linux....

-