Goofy mh problem

I have been using mh (and exmh) for over 10 years. The simplest way to
set mh up is to create a template which has your from address in it. I
have multiple templates preset with different from addresses depending
on who I am at the time (gaf at mediaone.net, gaf at gaf.ne.mediaone.net,
gaf at blu.org, gaf at world.std.com, ...). With exmh, I have them set up
with my compose and reply buttons. All those do is to issue the
appropriate command to mh. I'll be glad to send you some info when I get
home tonight.

On 25 Oct 2000, at 12:20, jc at trillian.mit.edu wrote:

> Hi; me again.  It occurs to  me  that  maybe  someone  here  will  be
> familiar  with the mh mailer, and might have a solution to one of the
> silliest email problems I've seen yet (and I've seen a lot of  them).
> I thought I'd give mh a try, after not using it for years, since it's
> now available on linux and bsd systems and seems to basically work.
>
> However, when I started using mh  on  this  machine,  something  that
> rapidly  came to my attention was that a lot of people couldn't reply
> to my messages.  The reason turned out to  be  that  it  was  sending
> messages out with the header line like:
>    From: <jc at trillian.mit.edu>, <jc at localhost>
>    From: John Chambers <jc at localhost.mit.edu>
> In test that I've done sending myself messages,  I've  seen  both  of
> these.   Needless  to say, jc at localhost is of little use to people on
> other machines, and jc at localhost.mit.edu simply bounces.   The  first
> example  seems  to  work  with  most Unix-type mailers, but Microsoft
> mailers discard the first address and use the second one.  Duh!
>
> One of the funny cases is that when mediaone users try  to  reply  to
> this,  their  mail  servers know how to deliver it, to someone called
> "jc" in their own system.  He knows about me and has forwarded  me  a
> few  messages,  but  I'd rather not bother him with messages intended
> for me.
>
> Anyhow, several people who have used mh have told me  that  they  are
> sure  there's  a  simple  way  to  configure mh to send out the right
> return address.  Unfortunately, while they insist that  it's  simple,
> they  can't  actually tell me how to do it.  Something that you can't
> type isn't all that useful, no matter how simple it is.  We've  spent
> far too much time grovelling around in TFM pages, and not finding it.
>
> Anyone know?  Or should I just dismiss mh as not usable yet?
>
> (Funny thing is, on this machine, the /usr/bin/mail command does  the
> same thing.  But the hostname and uname commands give the correct DNS
> name for this machine.  Why both of these  mailers  do  something  so
> bogus  is a real mystery.  One of our linux machines at work does the
> same thing, and nobody there can diagnose it, either.  We have had  a
> couple  of  comments that soon the pwd command will start saying just
> ".", which is of course absolutely true.  ;-)
>
> -

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group