rcs and branches

Take a look at the CVS-RCS Howto. Note that CVS was initially based on RCS.
Also, there are several good books on RCS such as the OReilly "Applying RCS
and SCCS" which is a bit dated but relevant. Additionally, I thought that
there was an RCS user guide packaged along with the RCS tarball. It's been
a few years since I Installed RCS directly from the fsf distribution.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CVS-RCS-HOWTO.html
Frank Ramsay wrote:
> hi all,
>
> I've started to play with rcs and I'm having problems with branches.
> the man pages don't seem to have the address my problem so I'm
> going to ask here.
>
> From my reading it doesn't seem that rcs has proper branches, but
> the revision functionality seems like it should do what I need.
>
> if I check out version 1.1 of a file, make changes, and check it in with
> ci -r2 <file> it checks in as version 2.1 which is fine.
>
> The problem is, if I again check out version 1.1 of the file (co -r1 -l
> <file>)
> when I make changes it won't let it is as version 1.2 (ie ci -r1.2
> <file>)
> it complains saying:
> revision 1.2 too low; must be higher than 2.1
> even if I set the working revision to 1 (rcs -b1 <file>) I can't get it
> save the file as revision 1.2.
>
> Am I missing something or does rcs not allow you to have concurent
> development on different branches of code?
>
> maybe I'm just spoiled by clearcase.
>

> 					-fjr
>
> --
> Frank Ramsay