rcs and branches

hi all,

I've started to play with rcs and I'm having problems with branches.
the man pages don't seem to have the address my problem so I'm
going to ask here.

>From my reading it doesn't seem that rcs has proper branches, but
the revision functionality seems like it should do what I need.

if I check out version 1.1 of a file, make changes, and check it in with
ci -r2 <file> it checks in as version 2.1 which is fine.

The problem is, if I again check out version 1.1 of the file (co -r1 -l
<file>)
when I make changes it won't let it is as version 1.2 (ie ci -r1.2
<file>)
it complains saying:
revision 1.2 too low; must be higher than 2.1
even if I set the working revision to 1 (rcs -b1 <file>) I can't get it
save the file as revision 1.2.

Am I missing something or does rcs not allow you to have concurent
development on different branches of code?

maybe I'm just spoiled by clearcase.

					-fjr

--
Frank Ramsay