lynx installation on RedHat 2.2.14-5.0

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Emmanuel Roldan wrote:
>I'm trying to install lynx 2.8.3 on my RHL Box, and I am following the
[snip]
>(All looks fine until--)
>  /usr/include/sys/ucontext.h:74:warning: `ERR' redefined
>  /usr/include/curses.h:195: warning: this is the location of the previous
>definition
>
>(and)
>
>  /usr/include/sys/ucontext.h:73: parse error before `('
>  make[1]: *** [LYClean.o] Error 1
>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/eroldan/lynx2-8-3/src'
>  make: *** [all] Error 2

Here are the relevant code snippets:

/usr/include/curses.h:
#if     !defined(ERR) || ((ERR) != -1)
#define ERR     (-1)          /* this is line 175 */
#endif

/usr/include/sys/ucontext.h:
enum {

  ERR,                        /* this is line 73 */
# define ERR    ERR

};

>From the "parse error before `('" error, it follows that curses.h is
#included before ucontext.h. ERR has been #defined as "(-1)". The enum
in the 2nd code snippet wants to use ERR as an enum element but gets
confused because it's already been defined as "(-1)". You might want
to submit it as a bug report, I guess.

If you like to play around, you could try changing the #define to

#define ERR -1

though there's a reason it's wrapped in parens..
You'll still get warnings about it being redefined.

Another thing to try would be to temporarily rename ERR to something
improbable, like __CRAZEY__ERROR__DOODZ__, try `make` again; if any of
the code actually uses ERR, then you'd get errors about illegal array
index or something related to the "`gregset_t' array" (see code above
the enum in ucontext.h). If you try that, don't forget to put it back
to the original way afterwards. :)

>The "make install" also errors out

`make install` usually does `make` first, so if `make`
fails then `make install` will.

-