Linux newbie

Thanks for your quick response. Can someone give me an idea of what packages to install -names? I have tcl and tk installed.

Thanks
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jerry Feldman
  To: blu
  Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 1:59 PM
  Subject: Re: Linux newbie

  I think that Derek Atkins may have answered this completely. I don't know why I am gettoing this an hour later.
  First, you need to install the basic development software, such as the gcc compiler. The packages are a bit different depending on your distribution. The menuconfig option is based on a package called curses. The xconfig target requires that you be running the make from an X environment.
  Your errors indicate that you do not have even the basic development header files, which are in /usr/include. Also, I think that xconfig also requires that tcl/tk be installed, which is in a different package. All should be on your base distribution.

  It is probably inportant when you ask questions like this to list the distribution you are using. While most distributions contain most of the same basic data, there are some differences in the packaging and system administration.

  Note that we are planning an installfest for October. We don't have the date and location firmed up yet.