broadband access

> > > Here are my summarized experiences with MediaOne.  My cable modem has been
> > > out of service for nearly a week at a time on 3 separate occassions.
> > > I have only had the cable modem sine April.

As another point of view, I've been a Mediaone customer for something like 3 years,
both here in Medford and, previously, in Weymouth. I run a web server, a mailing list
(Lyris), ftp, and a source code control server and have never had a complaint. The
service has never been down for more than a few hours, and that's only happened once
or twice (he says, knocking on wood). buddydog.org is hosted a a friend's ISP, so
I only send mail via M1, and receive mail from MV.COM. It's particularly amazing that
in the 4 months since I moved to Medford, the service has been rock solid, and it
is brand new in the area. I did have a problem in Weymouth for a couple of months
where I was getting renumbered every day practically, but that cleared up and I
haven't been renumbered yet here in Medford.

While the small print might in fact complain about servers, I'd say as long as
you don't abuse the system, they don't complain. Yes, they'll get upset if you
start running a porn server, but a small web (and other) servers running doesn't
seem to bother them. It's probably as much because they don't know enough as the
fact that they don't care enough.

Oh yeah, I also run via Sygate, with a home network. I work from home as a computer
engineer and the cable modem makes it all possible.

| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)     |
| Havas Interactive             HyperStudio Engineer |
| http://www.buddydog.org http://www.hyperstudio.com |