broadband access

On Monday, September 18, 2000 6:40 PM, Evan Sarmiento
[SMTP:kaworu at bu.edu] wrote:
> [snip]
>
> RCN does not like you to have a LAN behind the cable modem,
but
> they said to me, "What you do in your house is not your
buisness." So
> that means you can if they don't know about it.

Talk about your Freudian slips ...

> They allow servers if they're non commercial.

According to recent news reports, RCN doesn't allow Virtual
Private Networks, which are essential for work-at-home customers
such as I.  They're also reported to have restricted the
bandwidth available to sites that don't pay "peering fees" to
talk to "their" users.

My advice:  if you want anything besides "approved" ports and
web browsing from a cable company, get it in writing.

YMMV.

Bill Horne
Disclaimer:  I do not speak for Verizon.  These are my personal
opinions only.

-