Laptop install

I am trying to install Debian Linux on an old Compaq LTE Elite 4/40CX with
12 Megs of RAM and 880 MB hard disk. I bought a D-Link DFE-650TX network
card at MicroCenter ($70 less $10 instant rebate and $30 mail-in rebate)
to perform a network install.  I normally use RH 6.1 but the RH install
program identified the network card as an NE2000 Compatible with an irq of
3 when the actual irq was 11.

I installed the 11 diskette 2.2.17-compact version of Debian but it also
misidentified the card the same way as RH 6.1.  I limited pcnet_cs to irq
11 and used ifconfig to assign a local IP address to the card and bring it
up.  I can ping the card but can not ping anywhere else on the network.
The output of ifconfig for the card look correct and netstat -r shows the
route to the local network through eth0.

The problem may be that I need a later version of the pcmcia drivers.  I
saw in dejanews that the 3.1.15 version solved someone's problem.  The
version in Debian is 2.3.11.  I download and installed the 2.3.14-3
package but the problem is the same.

Does anyone have a version 3.1.15 (or later) debian package that I can
install on my laptop.  I don't have the compilers, etc. on the laptop to
install it from source.

-Frank

-