Windows ME Tour (fwd)

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Kris wrote:

> On the contrary I woule love microsoft to visit my local Linux expo with
> FREE operating system CDs. Or any advocate group to let me know there was
> a choice.

Well and good indeed. Except...

> I don't think it is hypocritical, I think doing
> this will let people know they have a choice other than win* and a FREE
> one at that.

... this is a _product launch_. If MS were to camp out at a similar
Linux related event perhaps you would feel this is okay. I for one would
not, because it's childish and rude. I would expect that the majority of
folks on this list wouldn't be happy either for a variety of reasons if
they thought about it. Almost like crashing a party.

Going out and holding an event in a mall to educate folks about Linux is a
great idea, and to me embodies all that's good about the open source
movement -- sharing knowledge. Going out to one-up Microsoft is hardly a
worthy cause.

Niall Kavanagh, niall at kst.com
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers:
http://www.kst.com
WARNING: I have switched from cigarettes to nicorette. I am cranky.

-