Windows ME Tour (fwd)

Having tried Linux, and especially after driving in to Cambridge to hear a
presentation that had been billed as "how to run Windows aps under Linux" or
something to that effect, and finding myself in a room full of programmer
folks who seemed to enjoy slamming Microsoft rather than actually using
computers to get work done, and being told be the presenter how sorry he was
that he couldn't actually demonstrate using Windows aps under Linux,
presumably because he didn't have the time to install "Office" under VMWARE
or WIN4LIN, and having struggled in vain to find Linux drivers for some
fairly mundane hardware that runs quite well in Windows, I'm inclined to
ask;

Why would you think for one moment that anybody for whom the ease of use and
ready availability of software that actually helps you get work done
(without being a programmer) is important, would be the least bit interested
in Linux?

I'm sure that Linux is just wonderful if you're running ahuge network orfile
server or ISP. But the folks (like me) who just use computers to use a small
business database, keep financial records for a small business, write
letters, exchange email, etc. in other words the folks who use Windows and
who might be interested in Windows ME, for whom a computer is a means to an
end, rather than an end in itself, have no use for Linux.

So why would you waste their time, or yours for that matter? Unless this is
just another opportunity to stand around smuggly and make snide comments
about Gates & Co.

Peter Jon White
Peter White Cycles
666 Mass Ave