Windows ME Tour (fwd)

> Microsoft is coming to the shopping mall in your city to promote Windows
> ME.  Many of us think that this would be an opportune time for Linux
> users to show our preferred choice by showing up to hand out free Linux
> CD's.  I have proposed to Linux Central to put up a new SKU so people
> can purchase Linux CD's to be sent to the LUGs in the city of their
> choices.  The list of the cities for Windows ME tour is listed below as
> well as the link to MSFT website.  The SKU is not up yet, as I have to
> coordinate with the user groups before Linux Central will take action.

The Linux Association at my university did much the same thing for the
Win2k release in February, and looking back in the aftermath, I think it
was a mistake.  Last time I checked, Linux was about choice and having
the freedom to choose what operating system you want to run, not going
to the opening events of competitors and forcing free CDs on them and
causing a commotion.  I can only imagine the bloody murder that people
would scream if a group of MS advocates came to stand outside LinuxWorld
Expo with free goods and politely advocate their OS of choice.  Frankly,
I think this is hypocritical and just plan ridiculous.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net
-