Simple Networking Question

The 3COM 509 should be recognized by Linux. Make sure you mave the
correct module built that supports the 509, and make sure that eth0 is
correctly aliased to that module. Remember that there are several 3com
modules. You need the 3c509.o module.
The line in modules.conf should look something like:
alias eth0 3c509