Log rolling assistance

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Scott Ehrlich wrote:

> I am trying to find proper way to roll system logs (/var/log/messages,
> /var/log/syslog) to make them smaller and offload older ones for
> archiving.
>
> What utility/command is responsible for management of these log files, and
> what is the best way to roll them?  I plan to date-stamp the file names
> (alrady being done for something else) once the proper UNIX command(s) for
> proper rolling is revealed.

The standard program to do this is logrotate, another wonderful Erik Troan
creation.  It knows how to rotate the logfiles of most programs so nothing
is lost, and is nigh infinitely flexible about rotation schedule and
naming conventions.  If you can't find it in your distribution, it's on
http://www.freshmeat.net as well as most other usual suspects.