wavlan cards

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 06:19:01PM -0400, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Seth M. Landsman wrote:
>
> > Greets,
> > 	So I'm seriously thinking about setting up wireless ethernet in my
> > apartment.  Has anyone gone about this?
>
> I'm running wireless in my house -- one WaveLAN (i.e., Orinoco) basestation
> and cards for two notebooks.

	What is the basestation?  My ideal would be something
airport-like, which would let me plug something into my hub and just work.
(I'd use an airport station if it were configurable without a mac, I
think)
	Do you have an URL for it?

> > 	Does anyone know of the PCI adapter is going to work under linux?
> > 	If this is a good solution or if there is a better way to go about
> > 	it?
>
> The PCI adapater from Lucent is nothing special; it's pretty much a generic
> PCMCIA-to-PCI adapter.  I've used my WaveLAN cards with an off-the-shelf
> PCMCIA-to-ISA adapter w/o any problems.  In fact, they worked under both
> Linux and Windows, which was a pleasant surprise.
>
> If you have an ISA slot available you can pick these things up cheap on
> eBay.  The PCI ones are harder to find, but I believe they'll work just as
> well.
>
> You don't need anything special on your Linux box other than a current
> release of the PCMCIA package (which includes wavelan drivers).

	That's what I thought.

Thanks,
 Seth
--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"
-