Apache Redirect Qn

Hi,

I have a qn regarding Redirect in Apache.
Looks like this is pssible using mod_rewrite, but the docs doesnt give a
directy answer to my problme.

I have a webserver now with www.companyname.com.
Also I have secure content there going to
https://www.companyname.com/directory/...

We plan to split the homepage (insecure) contents and teh secure stuff and
use the same Verisign cert.

What we need is to have a new server have the www.companyname.com DNS
entry and the Apache on that have a redirect for /diretory to
oldseverIP/directory, with the Verisign ceret working properly. As
Verisign cert is in the name of www.companyname.com, I dont want to use
newserver.company.com in the redirect, as the browser might display a
warning.

Is this possible using mod_rewrite?
How do I do this?

TIA.