Intro & pcmcia cdrom query

    Hello all -

This is my first posting to the list, which I have been on for about a week.  I
have been in Boston for a month, since I moved up from Ecuador.  Unfortunately,
I work Wednesday nights, so I am not able to come to any of the blu meetings.

    My linux history is fairly short.  My graduate math program a few years back
used linux, and I got used to it.  It doesn't seem a common reason for using
Linux, but the main attraction for me is pine, which suits my email needs better
than any other program.  I guess linux takes all types though, right?

    With that in mind, I installed Yellowdog on my Wallstreet (Apple Powerbook
G3 233) last fall.  It ran like a charm, except for printing, for the entire
year I spent in Ecuador, but I left it behind when I moved back, and I am
currently without linux again.

    I have a Pismo now (Powerbook 400) but I am going to wait for MacOS X client
beta, and not penguin it.  All is not lost, however.  My roommate in Ecuador
gave me her old laptop when she left, which I did bring back.

Specs:
    Compaq Contura 430c.
    Processor:  Unknown
    RAM: 16 meg
    ROM: 6gig brand-new unformatted fujitsu internal drive.  Floppy drive.
        no CDROM.
    Ports:  2 type II PCMCIA slots, 1 parallel, 1 docking port, 1 serial,
            1 external monitor.
        No SCSI, No ethernet.

So the query is this:  How should I put linux on?  I do not have access to DSL
or ISDN so a net install would be quite slow.

There are old 2X and 4X pcmcia cdrom's on ebay, ranging from $5 to $30, but I
don't know what will be compatible, and what won't.

Parallel-port cdrom's exist, but I don't know where to find them.

Any tips?

-Adam

-