From: Jerry Feldman [mailto:Gerry.Feldman at compaq.com]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 9:28 AM
To: 'discuss at blu.org'
Subject: Re: Keyboard/monitor/mouse switches

I use a Cybex SwithView at work, and an Edimax switch at home. The
advantage of the electronic switches is that they essentially tell the
computer that the device is still alive. My switch at home is a 2 port
switch, and I would not mind selling it and buying a 4 port. It works great.

BTW: One of the nice features of the Cybex switch is that you can
change systems by a combination of keystrokes so you don't need to
press a button.

There are several problems with manual switches, the worst is that you
can damage your PS/2 mouse port. I was told how to modify a manual
switch. Takes a few resistors and diodes.

On 14 Jul 2000, at 9:14, Bill Horne wrote:

> Sorry, but this isn't strictly Linux:  it does, however, concern
> those of us whom use a Samba server with Win95 boxen.
>
> I bought a manual keyboard/monitor/mouse switch, which is
> supposed to allow me to share my k/m/m amoung four computers.
>
> I've found that the mouse and keyboard often freeze when
> switching from one machine to another, and before returning the
> switch I'd appreciate advice on how to solve the problem.
>
> 1.  Does this problem occur with electronic "matrix" switches?
> If not, what are the best values and where can I get them?
> 2.  Is that a way to modify a manual switch to prevent the
> problem?
>
> TIA.
>
> Bill Horne
>

> -

Jerry Feldman
Contractor, eInfrastructure Partner Engineering
508-467-4315 http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/linux/

Compaq Computer Corp.
200 Forest Street MRO1-3/F1
Marlboro, Ma. 01752