(Fwd) Installing IE 5.01 SP1 Can Break Office 2000 Help

1. ========== NEWS AND VIEWS ==========
(contributed by Paul Thurrott, thurrott at win2000mag.com)

* INSTALLING IE 5.01 SP1 CAN BREAK OFFICE 2000 HELP
After I issued a warning on Friday that Microsoft hadn't properly
tested Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1), I quickly
received word from many readers that this release breaks the Help
system in Office 2000 and Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR1a) on many
systems. I haven't been able to nail down which systems, exactly, are
immune to this bug, but it appears to be certain Windows 98 systems.
Those readers who wrote in and my own experience indicate that this
problem affects all Windows 2000 systems. "Help requires Microsoft
Internet Explorer 3.0 or greater," the warning reads when you try to
run Office Help after installing IE 5.01 SP1. "You can install the
latest version of IE from www.Microsoft.com."
   Although this problem doesn't come as any surprise necessarily, it's
still disheartening to realize that Microsoft isn't doing what it needs
to do to ensure that bug fixes don't introduce their own bugs.
Therefore, with some reluctance, I'm advising users against downloading
and installing IE 5.01 SP1, unless you're comfortable with a little
Registry editing (see "Here's the IE 5.01 SP1 Fix," below).
Unfortunately for Win2K users, upgrading to IE 5.01 SP1 is the only way
to upgrade Outlook Express and other nonbrowser IE components to IE 5.5
levels. The more heavily tested IE 5.5, which Microsoft will release
later this week, should contain all the IE 5.01 SP1 fixes, but Win2K
users will be able to upgrade only the Web browser with that release.
None of the other IE components are upgraded in IE 5.5 if you're using
Win2K.
   The strange saga of IE 5.x really has me wondering about version
numbers, incompatibilities, and other issues. For some reason,
Microsoft has an insane numbering system for IE, something that began
with the original release of IE 5.0. For example, the IE version number
in Win98 Second Edition (SE), released in May 1999, is 5.00.2614.3500.
You might think that the build number is 3500 or maybe 2614. Instead,
the build number is 1435, which you get by combining the last two
digits of the first four-digit section with the first two digits of the
last four-digit section. When Microsoft released Win2K with IE 5.01,
the build number was 2000 (5.00.2920.0000). But IE 5.0 SP1 "upgrades"
this build number to 0310 (5.00.3103.1000), which makes absolutely no
sense.
   The IE team has a history of not properly testing products, a
problem I've been documenting for years. When Microsoft melded IE into
the Windows user interface (UI), I railed against the company for
letting such buggy technology get its tendrils into the core of the OS.
A point release designed to fix problems with the original has, almost
instantly, followed each major IE release, and IE has had an amazing
array of security and bug fixes, which now seem to be issued regularly.
With IE 5.01+, however, these problems have reached a new low. Win2K
users can't use the IE 5.5 installer to update Outlook Express;
instead, they can update Outlook Express only through IE 5.01, which
wasn't properly tested, or Win2K Service Pack 1 (SP1), which hasn't
shipped yet. Meanwhile, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), which
Microsoft recently released to manufacturing, ships with a prerelease
version of IE 5.5--build 3401 rather than 3406, which is the final
version.
   As reports of incompatibilities between IE 5.01 SP1 and Office 2000
swept across the Web this weekend, the finger pointing began between
the two Microsoft teams responsible for the products. For the users, of
course, who caused the problem isn't important. Getting it fixed is.
Perhaps it's not coincidental that this problem should arise between
two products that have been so poorly tested. Both IE and Office--
especially its service releases, such as Office 2000 SR1--have poor
histories of reliability. And for some reason, this bug doesn't appear
on every IE 5.01 SP1 install, although it does appear almost
universally on Win2K Professional.

* HERE'S THE IE 5.01 SP1 FIX
This weekend, I was able to reproduce the Internet Explorer (IE) 5.01
Service Pack 1 (SP1) bug on Windows 2000 systems with both the original
Office 2000 version and Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR1a), and I
posted the first warning about IE 5.01 SP1 to the WinInfo Web site
(http://www.wininformant.com/) at that time. Numerous readers have
written in with a Registry fix for the problem, which I describe below.
IE 5.01 SP1 seems to write the wrong build number information to the
Registry. In Windows Me, the IE version number is 5.50.4134.0100, so
the system writes a value of 54134.0100 to a specific location in the
Registry. This information helps applications determine which IE
version you have. When you install IE 5.01 SP1, however, the system
writes invalid information to this part of the Registry. The IE version
in SP1 is 5.00.3103.1000, so the value 53103.1000 should be written in
the build number location. Instead, IE 5.01 SP1 writes 5.00.3103.1000.
When Office Help starts up, it thinks you're using an older IE version.
   Here's the fix, which you should try only if you're familiar with
editing the Registry.
   1. Launch regedit.exe.
   2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer, and find the Build key. You'll see that its value is
5.00.3103.1000.
   3. Change this value to the correct value of 53103.1000 (I've seen
fixes on the Web that suggest different values, but this appears to be
the correct one).
   4. Close regedit.exe. After you make this change, Office Help will
work (you don't need to reboot your system).

   If you don't want to hack around in the Registry, which is
completely understandable, Microsoft will probably reissue IE 5.01 SP1
sometime soon. And why not? In the crazy world of Microsoft bug fixes,
we've come to grudgingly expect this type of thing. IE 5.01 SP1a,
anyone?

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Associate Director
Boston Linux and Unix user group