Add hardware later?

David Kramer wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Kuan Lee wrote:
>
> > Pausing before the last shore of time, David Kramer wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm putting together a 486-dx2 100mhz computer with Red Hat 6.2.  I
> > > finally got everything working, but originally I could not get the network
> > > card working.  Now I put the network card back in, and I would like to
> > > know how to tell the system to load the driver for it.
> <YADAYADA>        </YADAYADA>
> > I have one of those from 8 years ago =)
> > if you compile support into the kernel,
> > it autoprobes a range of addresses including 0x300 for NIC, and
> > do not need to do anything else.
> > If you want to load it as a module, there was another message on
> > how to do that.
>
> So this was a good learning experience for me.  Here is what I had to do.
>
> Based on searching Red Hat's knowledgebase, I figured out I needed to put
> 2 lines in /etc/conf.modules. An "options" line to define the IRQ and IO
> address, and an "alias" line to set ne2000 the driver to
> eth0.  Apparently, the default address of 0x300 is very hard to autoprobe,
> so it needs to be specified.

Interesting thread.  I just ran into the same problem.

Every Linux installation I've done to date has autodetected the card(s)
I want to use.  If not, recompiling the kernel to include the driver has
done the trick.  Except on the machine I'm trying to set up right now...

Here's my question: how do you know what IRQ and interupt to specify for
your card?  The Net3-4 HOWTO tells me that my card's manufacturer
probably sent me a DOS disk that lets me configure my card.  I don't
have that.  The card I have is a good old 3COM 509.  3COM's site has no
configuration utilities for the card that I could find either.

I'm actually trying to put *two* 509's in this machine, if that makes
any difference (even just one card doesn't work right now, though).

Ron Peterson
rpeterson at yellowbank.com
-