Add hardware later?

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Kuan Lee wrote:

> Pausing before the last shore of time, David Kramer wrote:
> >
> > I'm putting together a 486-dx2 100mhz computer with Red Hat 6.2.  I
> > finally got everything working, but originally I could not get the network
> > card working.  Now I put the network card back in, and I would like to
> > know how to tell the system to load the driver for it.
<YADAYADA>        </YADAYADA>
> I have one of those from 8 years ago =)
> if you compile support into the kernel,
> it autoprobes a range of addresses including 0x300 for NIC, and
> do not need to do anything else.
> If you want to load it as a module, there was another message on
> how to do that.

So this was a good learning experience for me.  Here is what I had to do.

Based on searching Red Hat's knowledgebase, I figured out I needed to put
2 lines in /etc/conf.modules. An "options" line to define the IRQ and IO
address, and an "alias" line to set ne2000 the driver to
eth0.  Apparently, the default address of 0x300 is very hard to autoprobe,
so it needs to be specified.

Then, from my server, I copied over /etc/sysconfig/network and
removed the IP forwarding lines and set the gateway to my server.  I also
copied over /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 (eth1 is the
intranet card on my server) and renamed it ifcfg-eth0, changing the IP
address, etc.

Lastly, I copied over /etc/hosts (I have yet to figure out how to set up a
cacheing nameserver on alphageek, so all internal machines need an
/etc/hosts to find each other), and /etc/resolv.conf.

After bouncing a few daemons around, I was surfing the web in lynx and
pinging my other machines.

And no, I did *not* have to reboot, thank you very much Bill Gates.

I have to say, though, I have a much lower opinion of the value add from
buying Red Hat's commercial packages.  I always thought their support did
not cover very much, but got it for the manuals.  The manual is of very
little help when you want to learn more than the slightest top layer of
any facet of Linux though, and is poorly indexed.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

-