Switching to MediaOne

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Rich Braun wrote:

> Next up was downloading ssh from Finland so I can start copying things
> off my old box (which I left on the RCN connection at the old house until
> I get this mess sorted out--I don't want my email shut down for however
> many days it'll take to stabilize).
>
> Then I've figured out that the IP masquerade function aka NAT is completely
> different in 2.2 vs. 2.0 kernels.

It's about to change again in 2.4 so you may as well not get accustomed to
the syntax of ipchains just yet...  You CAN start using the 2.4.0-testX
kernels; so far they seem to be pretty stable.  Use the latest one you can
find and apply the ac-X patches to it to be sure you'll be o.k.

> In order to stabilize, I'll need to download and configure quite a few
> things I've taken for granted:  latest-greatest sendmail (is there a personal
> SMTP mechanism which is more secure than sendmail?  I oughtta scrap
> sendmail if I can),

Unless you're receiving incoming mail via SMTP at your local machine, you
don't need to run sendmail at all.  If you are doing that, sendmail is the
way to go. It's complex, but there's nothing better.

--
Derek Martin
System Administrator

-