java on linux

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Tom Guilderson wrote:

> Since our shop is moving towards java as the development
> language of choice; I need to come up with the right tools
> for the linux platform.
>
> What jdk and jre?
>
> kaffe?

Not quite there yet (last time I checked a month ago), but moving
along.  Most things worked, but some programs that worked under a
standard jdk would die, and java 2 compatiblity was still being worked
on.  Two others open source ones are japhar (www.japhar.org)
and jasmine (can't find the reference to it, it was based of gnu
classpath, as I recall).

> jikes?
> ibm jdk & jre 1.1.8 for linux

I've been happy with these and reported to be faster than Sun's.
Also, Jikes is a compiler (to bytecode), not a jvm, so you'll need that.  It's open
source under IBM's IPL.

> sun's java 2 jdk and jre?
> blackdown?
> Visual age for linux? (I know Visual anything - eccchhh!)

Careful, IBM's Visual Age is different than MS's Visual blah.  On
Windows, Visual Age is a pig for memory, but you get a really neat
development environment, including being able to do wiring diagrams of
the program, and have it generate it.  It also generated standard
code, that ran on any platform with a jre.  Part of the memory hog
probably came from the core being IBM's Visual Age for Smalltalk.

> I would prefer using open-source software. If it is as good or close to
> the best commercial binary software and the code will run in other
> environments on other platforms (eg NT, solaris, aix), then that is my
> preference.
>
> Also if I want to have different jdk's and jre's living on the same
> system for testing purposes, how difficult? Anyone have any experience
> with this?
>
> I would appreciate any and all feedback, comments, anyone has to offer
> on or off line.

hope this helps

> TIA

you're welcome.