[BLU] Re: slow netscape startup

> > > When my laptop is disconnected from the network, Netscape is extremely
> > > slow to load the default homepage.  It starts o.k., and eventually
> > > (several minutes later) loads the homepage.  I've tried making my
> > > homepage a local file://blahblah and using web page served up by Apache
> > > running locally.  I've tried turning named on and off.  I have my
> > > virtual hostname listed in /etc/hosts, and host.conf reads hosts,bind.
> > > resolv.conf list three nameservers: this laptop, the caching nameserver
> > > on my office lan, and my isp's.  Is Netscape tring to resolve root
> > > nameservers or something?

> I saw something on one list recently referring to this problem, and I
> think it was related to Netscape trying to resolve a domain name, which it
> couldn't do when not connected to the net.  I think the answer was to put
> whatever your home page is in /etc/hosts, or change it to not load your
> home page on startup.

I've had this happen whenever my box is pulled off the network or for some
reason is lacking an internet connection.  I have no homepage set, and
there is something in a ~/.netscape setting that is is trying to
resolve, despite a rather streamlined/minimal configuration.  I've found
no solution other than removing ~/.netscape, which is not advisable,
really, or just waiting 5 minutes for whatever it is to timeout.  If you
find a reasonable answer, let me know.

-b

-