porting linux on a wintel machine

Oh hell yes you can do this.  I have done it before with Windows 98 and Red
Hat Linux on the same hard drive (my hard drive back then was only 4 G).  If
you want to have Linux and Windows 98 on the SAME hard drive, I STRONGLY
suggest that you have at at least 2 G of hard disk space for Linux
(actually, I strongly suggest that you have at least an 8 G hard drive).  To
my knowledge, you can run the Red Hat 6.2 installer, and it will
automatically partition your hard drive WITHOUT overwriting Windows stuff so
you can test and play with Linux for the first time
:-)  Hope this helps!  Good luck!