porting linux on a wintel machine

--- Brian Bay <babay at mediaone.net> wrote:
My
> question is and I suppose I already know the answer but
> before I take
> the dive and do it, I need assurance that Linux and
> Windows 98 can
> co-exist on the same hard disk. I gather you have to
> partition the hard
> disk for this to happen.

One experience of mine, which may or may not be something
to worry about:

I originally bought a machine with Win95 pre-loaded, and
then used System Commander to downsize its partition to
half the disk. However, after this, Win95 refused to start
properly. (An infinite string of 'Illegal Operation''s
immediately after the Windows background came up.)

So, I found out, after some time on various tech support
lines, that this was happening b/c pre-installed versions
of Win95 HAD to have the whole hard drive to themselves.

I got lucky, the lady at the store gave me a shrink-wrapped
copy of Win98 to install. But in the general case, I
wouldn't know exactly how to resolve this problem--

=====
Ken Gosier
ken_gosier at yahoo.com