porting linux on a wintel machine

Windows 95, 98 and Nt work fine with Linux. My desktop machine has Windows
95OSR2 setup as a dual boot, and my nerw laptop has Windows98SE. Both have
SuSE 6.4 Linux. Linux comes with a DOS utility to repartition the hard
disk, but I very strongly recommend Partition Magic 5.0. Linux does not
take that much space, but once you add GNOME and KDE,  you need some space.
There are also tools like Win4Lin and VMWare that you can use to run
Windows concurrently with Linux.

My personal preference for first time Linux users is Mandrake, which has a
very easy install. SuSE is a very comlete distribution that includes just
about everything including some commercial software. Red Hat is also
excellent. I would not recommend any other distribution.  Also, most
distributions come with the Apache web server.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group

-