help

hello to all,
      i'm really having trouble configuring an
ethernet card (3com 509 etherworks) in a RH6.0 kernel
2.2.5-15.  Ive tried disabling PnP and changing IRQ
through a utility that comes with the card by booting
with win98 bootdisk. When I run ifconfig eth0
192.168.1.1, everything seems to be fine, it even
gives a ping reply, but when I run route eth0 -net
192.168.1.1 it gives the message: unable to locate
device eth0. And when I reboot, it can't bring up eth0
giving the message:unable to resolve IP.... operation
failed..
       please help....i would be very grateful

                                        dean