[BLU] Re: MySQl user admin

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, David Kramer wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Niall Kavanagh wrote:
>
> > As user root:

> Unfortunately, that made things worse!  Now puser can't log in at all.
>
> [root at kramer php4]# mysql --user=puser --password
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'puser at localhost' (Using password: YES)

hurm...

As root, can you select * from mysql.user and see if there is indeed a
user ptest in there?

> I thought setting up the records in the mysql database took place of GRANT
> statements.  In fact, when I tried, I got
> mysql> grant all on ptest to puser identified by 'ppassword';
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

That's normal behaviour (don't ask me why <g>)

Try:

GRANT ALL ON ptest.* TO puser at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'ppassword';

Then:
mysql -u puser

And enter the password.

Though I am confused about it not letting you run mysql. It might have
denied you access to a database, but you should at least be able to run
the client. Are you sure you didn't specify a db on the cmd line? And did
you type the password correctly? <ducking and covering> ;)

You should put the "@localhost" in, because:
"If we don't add the entry with localhost, the anonymous user
     entry for localhost that is created by mysql_install_db will take
precedence when we connect from the local host, because it has a
     more specific Host field value and thuse comes earlier in the user
table sort order."

To allow access from anywhere also do a GRANT with puser@"%"

> 0 rows affected.

<sigh> I'm having a 0 rows affected day myself.

Niall Kavanagh, niall at kst.com
News, articles, and resources for web professionals and developers:
http://www.kst.com

-