MySQl user admin

In the past I had a lot of problems getting php to compile with IMAP or
MySQL support.  After loading PHP 4, I finally got MySQL working (but I
can't get IMAP working.  Does anyone know when you specify
--with-imap=DIR what the DIR is supposed to be?  The path to c-client.a
or the path to rfc822.h?).  Now that I can do something fun with MySQL,
I just can't get certain things working.

I create a new database 'ptest'.

I set up the db record so the user puser can connect to the database
ptest:
mysql> select * from db where user='puser';
| Host | Db    | User  | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |
Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv |
Index_priv | Alter_priv |
| %    | ptest | puser | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y           | Y           | Y         | N          | Y               |
Y          | Y          |

I set up the user record:
mysql> select * from user where user='puser';
| Host | User  | Password | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |
Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Reload_priv | Shutdown_priv |
Process_priv | File_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv | Index_priv |
Alter_priv |
| %    | puser |          | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y           | Y           | Y         | Y           | Y             |
Y            | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |

I set up the host record:
mysql> select * from host where db='ptest';
| Host | Db    | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv | Delete_priv |
Create_priv | Drop_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv | Index_priv |
Alter_priv |
| %    | ptest | Y           | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y           | Y         | Y          | Y               | Y          |
Y          |

---------------------
NOW- When I try to log in as puser, it works:
[root at kramer bin]# mysql --user=puser
Your MySQL connection id is 81 to server version: 3.22.32

Type 'help' for help.

mysql>
--------------
When I try connecting to that database, no go!
mysql> use ptest;
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'ptest'
mysql>
When I try connecting to that database as root, it works, so the db is
fine.
[root at kramer bin]# mysql --user=root --database=ptest -p
Enter password:

Your MySQL connection id is 82 to server version: 3.22.32

Type 'help' for help.

mysql>

Any ideas?  Thanks.
-