The Myth of Open Source Security

> For the sake of discussion, here is an interesting article on Open source security.
>
> http://developer.earthweb.com/journal/techfocus/052600_security.html

While I think the article covers a lot of valid points, the open source
model gives anyone that wants to a chance to look for security
holes.  Even if no one looks at it and something slips through, in this
case, it still is a better model than not being able to see the code at
all and rely on shady developers to fix it for you.  Sure there will be
bugs, but at least open source allows for a mechanism of finding them and
fixing them quickly.  I'm still wondering why the author of the software
is so concerned with touting all the holes in his program and the flaws in
the open source model than fixing them himself.  It would seem rather
counter-productive.

Brian Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net

-