install problems

> The way that hard drive partition tables are laid out, there is only 2
> bytes for the cylinder number.  So only cylinders <1024 can
> be referenced.
> Because of this the partition that contains the /boot directory (and I
> believe the swap partition too) must reside completely within
> the first
> 1024 cylinders.
>
> With hard drives coming as large as they do today, it's hard
> to have your
> entire root partition within that boundary.  So one solution
> is to have
> /boot on it's own partition within that limit, then have the root
> partition wherever you want.

As far as I know, the latest version of LILO fixed this issue. At least,
now, having lilo as the Boot manager will allow you to dump past the 1024
limit. Bios' may not recognize this, but at least lilo does. This resolves
the issues that lilo had originally with giant harddrives. More info can be
found @ http://freshmeat.net/news/2000/05/11/958088264.html .

Just a thought.

-Jesse
-