Intel Email Support

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Randall Hofland wrote:

> Let me rephrase my request: does anyone have an email address for
> someone at Intel where I can send a complaint about their paltry supply
> of Celerons (and discontinuation of SMP support in the newest lots) so
> they will know why I intend to look to AMD or elsewhere for future
> hardware options? I don't want them coming back later and asking why I
> didn't let them know about my dissatisfaction with their service and
> products!

Intel's pricing of CPUs has always been about maximizing their profits, so
what they're doing is really no surprise. Since they're currently
production-limited (i.e., they can sell all the processors they can make),
it's understandable that they devote their resources to making PIII chips
rather than Celerons. Increasing capacity would be a solution, but that
takes time and the investment of huge sums of money.

As for taking SMP support out of the Celeron, they didn't like the
prospect of people building high-end systems by using a couple of $100
Celeron chips on a dual-processor motherboard rather than a $1000 PIII/1G.
Annoying, but understandable.

The arms race with AMD has probably made things a bit worse, too. Intel
has been forced to push the PIII speed envelope faster than they really
wanted to, and they seem to be having trouble producing the highest-speed
chips. (Just try to buy a PIII/1G.) Some of their resources are devoted to
keeping up with the Joneses, rather than solving their volume problems.
And they can't just fall behind in the speed race, either; that would risk
being marginalized in exactly the way that AMD used to be, limited to the
low-price part of the market.

Intel may regain the upper hand in speed when Willamette comes out; that
new processor design is intended to be scalable to higher speeds. But AMD
is also working on a second-generation Athlon, which is also supposed to
be more scalable, so we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Mark J. Dulcey               mark at buttery.org
Visit my house's home page:  http://www.buttery.org/
Visit my home page:          http://www.buttery.org/markpoly/

-